The first time I heard about this pen was when a pen-pal mentioned in one of her letters that she was using that pen to write with. Since the other pens she'd mentioned were a bit on the pricier side it didn't even occur to me to do any research on this pen and I promptly forgot about it.
When I had to provide a Christmas/Birthday wishlist I went into research mode. I knew I wanted several pens and some ink for the giftor to choose from but I also didn't want to break the bank. Knowing that there was a chance the giftor was going to buy everything on my wishlist I decided that I wanted pens that was $100 or less and that a lot of people had good things to say about. It took me 2 days and between listening to FPGeeks podcasts, browsing around on their forums and reading Fountain Pen Network's forums I had a few pens that made the short list and this was one of them. The other criteria about the pens on this list were not only pens I was curious about but since they were going to be a gift, I wanted to ensure it wasn't just mere curiosity and that I would just give away or sell the pen later. One of the things that surprised me the most about this pen was that it wasn't anywhere near as pricey as I was expecting.
Had I not known better, when the box arrived in the mail, I would have sworn there was more in the box than just one pen. While the pen was well wrapped and padded, I thought they included some complimentary goodies to justify the size of the box (12 or more pens could easily have fit into this box with room to spare), alas that wasn't the case.
The leather looking case the pen arrived in would be a great way to store this pen if I didn't already have a number of pens and no desk to put it on. I will be keeping the case but until I get a proper desk the pen won't be hanging out in it.
I'm not really partial to pen caps and clips so I never think them worthy a mention but I will say that this pen is simply elegant and quite understated.
Despite how I hold the pen, the threads are barely noticeable and I've written quite a bit with my forefinger on the threads.
With this pen having a solid colour barrel, I love the fact that it is a cartridge/convertor so I can see exactly how much ink is left. I have heard that people prefer different filling systems and that's mainly due to ink capacity and while I completely understand about wanting to hold more ink there is nothing I hate more than writing only to discover that my pen has run dry right in the middle of a word. This happens more than I'd care to admit.
Everyone's recommendations about this pen is warranted. This pen writes really smoothly (yes, I did flush the pen with water and have it dried before first use, just as the literature it came with suggests) from the get go. This may seem like a little thing, but the first fountain pen I bought didn't write smoothly initially and I was so disappointed with that pen for many reasons that I regretted buying that pen. I still have that pen and my initial assessment may have been a tad hasty but a review of that pen will follow in the near future. Even with writing fairly quickly this pen keeps up well and with a little bit of pressure you can flex a little and get some line variation. If you're curious, it also lays down a even patch of ink and thankfully not a dry writer.
This is my second F nib and so far so good. I am quiet enjoying this pen and happy that I added this to my wishlist.
Price:
Levenger - $59 and up, plus S&H
No comments:
Post a Comment