For most of last week I have fought the good fight against this cold. I am quite in tune with my body and when it tells me that if I don't act, I'm soon going to have a nasty cold I start to listen and act. Three days this went on and I hoped I would be victorious. Yeah, that didn't happen. Not only do I have this monster of a head cold, but it seems that our bedroom in the loft area has a draft. So I went to bed Wednesday night feeling fine and woke up on Thursday morning with a head full of fuzzies.
Anyone who knows me well, knows that I really dislike taking any forms of medication unless I have to. Sore runny noses fall under the catergory of having to. It doesn't matter what the writing on the box says as 95% of the time, any medication will make me drowsy. Whether it will keep me asleep however is another matter entirely. I have this deep seated need to be in control (of myself normally) which is why I dislike taking medication, drink moderately and have never done drugs.
As you well know if you've read past posts, I'm not working. I won't belabor the point of feeling guilty about this however it means that my mornings don't start until around 10am even though I'm up at 6am. The only motivation for my 6am wake up is to ensure that the girlchild gets off to school. While she'd love to stay home with me, somehow I don't have the patience for and I don't think she'd enjoy being homeschooled as much as she thinks.
The normal routine is to wake her up, fix her lunch and put the cereal out for her breakfast. Last year sometime I started fixing her lunches as the amount of money we were spending on school lunches were too high when you consider that she'd be ravenous when she got home, and yes, this is after going back in the queue for a 2nd lunch. I figure that we were going to spend that much money I could at least send her to school with a healthy lunch that would fill her up until she got home.
Since having this cold I get online as soon as I'm finished, not only to ensure that she takes her lunch and eats her breakfast, but also to make sure that she catches the bus, otherwise I'd just fall back to sleep. These last several mornings I have done my usual, checking of/responding to emails, reading the online versions of the newspapers from back home, getting on my other blog and just generally hanging out.
These last two days I have gotten to know one of my internet pals a lot better and started a friendship with another one. Legion, for want of a better name, I have spoken to off and on for several years. Up until yesterday morning the only thing I knew about him other than his gender is that he lived in the USA. I won't go into details but I learnt that his early life was very difficult and it's a sheer miracle that he is still alive. He is alive despite his ailments and bouts of depression but it's a testament to his sense of humour, sense of self and general all around pleasure of life which is why he's alive.
I find that there are so many people on the internet that you talk to and you barely get a glimpse into their lives. Sometimes the picture you get is all wonderful which may hide a deep dark secret and others the pictures are heart wrenching as they have a hard time finding the silver lining. Unfortunately what you rarely get is an entire picture. Yesterday I felt as though I really connected with someone which is a great feeling and one I rarely get.
Now Dost (his regular handle is quite a bit longer) and I had a fascinating discussion. I'm not sure where else I've ever been able to have an hour conversation about genealogy and the fascination and frustration of it all outside of a forum dedicated to that subject. It made me think that a little over 6 years ago I really started to do some research but came up with nothing but dead ends. In retrospect I find it amusing that right after I had shelved the idea that someone created a group dedicated to that same very thing and I wasn't to find this group for another 3 years. I owe a lot to this group as they've found lots of information for me while doing their own research and it's humbling to find distant relatives who are on the quest as you. While my research takes me to a different part of the planet than Dost, we have very similar blockades and it's interesting to note that even a first world country doesn't always keep the best records. For a second day in a row I really feel like I've made a connection.
This isn't to say that these are the first times I've made similar connections, it's just that those connections I've made in the past, those people are more like friends and family even though I still haven't met some of them. We keep in contact as our lives allow and there are days when I have a hard time remembering life without them.
No comments:
Post a Comment