This morning while trying to fall back asleep after sending the girlchild off to school I happened to switch the channel and Oprah was on. Until moving to Germany I may have watched a total of maybe 10 Oprah shows. This isn't to say that I am for or against watching her, but until moving I've never had the time to watch it.
The last show I watched of hers before coming here was one about pack rats and what people save and to be frank that show scared the bejesus out of me. Just to summarize that episode, the woman in question had been married over 25 years, she was still wearing underwear (with the help of clothes pins) from when she was first married, her bathroom had disposable razors that she was still using after 3 and 4 months and she had a pound of ground beef in her freezer for almost 10 years that was cement grey. They had people come in to take air samples and to swab her kitchen sink and bathroom toilet and the results were enough to give anyone heart failure.
Anyway I digress. The show that aired today (I believe aired in the US on Friday) was about a couple who were arrested because they hired a stripper for their son's 16th birthday party. Apparently the issue wasn't so much that they hired her, but her son had taken explicit photographs after they had given the stripper additional money to go completely nude. The mother took the roll of film in to be developed and the police were called in.
A lot of people are outraged at this for obvious reasons. I'm not going to stand on pedestal and wag my finger at them and say what poor parenting that showed, but I have another angle. Imagine the same scenario, but instead the birthday boy had a digital camera. Would this episode have gone unnoticed? What happened with the stripper? I gather that she wasn't charged with anything. Surely she must have figured out that going topless for a bunch of 16 year olds was one thing, but rubbing her genitals in their faces or other places...
The closest I would take a teenager to a female naked body would be to a museum or to Hooters, but probably in that order. That isn't to say that I'm a prude or anything, but I draw the line at encouraging a minor into something along those lines.
What have we become; Just look what we have done; All that we destroyed; You must build again
White Lion: When The Children Cry
No comments:
Post a Comment