Even though I'm tired as I write this, I am pleased with myself that I managed to stratch everything from my to-do list for today besides going to the German Post office. I drove right by it, couldn't find any parking and then noticed that I was running late to get home before the girl-child, so off I went. Of course the freezing rain and the wind didn't help matters any.
So I talked to the hubby this morning about Christmas dinner. He does agree with me that it's too much to cook for the 3 of us. Before you start to wonder what I'm talking about, I'll explain. I'm an only child and Christmas for me was more about having a good time with family and friends than presents. Up until the age of 20, my Christmas dinners were spent with my parents and family friends. After 20 our Christmas dinner changed to what they are now. Christmas dinner which normally was at a particular cousin's house, now rotates from one house to the next. Everyone brings a couple of dishes and we all sit around and have a good time. It is common to have quite a number of people over for Christmas who aren't relatives and to be honest, we quite enjoy having people around. With that being said, there is always so much food, that you can't say you can't find anything to eat. The theory behind our Christmas dinners seem to be that if you like a particular dish, it'll be there for dinner. The first year my husband had dinner with my family he thought he'd stepped out of the wrong door and entered a feast worthy of some small royal family.
Needless to say, with being brought up like that, I tend to make Christmas dinners the same way. The last time I cooked Christmas dinner, I made stove top stuffing (cuz hubby likes it), cornbread dressing (cuz I like it), giblet gravy (hubby), turkey gravy (moi), succotash (hubby), green bean casserole (everyone), corn, cobb salad, ham, turkey, candied yams (moi), rice n beans (everyone), cranberry sauce, rolls and I can't remember what else.
As I was saying before, he agreed that it's too much to do for 3 people and that we should just enjoy the Christmas day so we'll go to the dining facility for dinner. Then on boxing day (day after Christmas) I'll cook the turkey etc, that way we will have leftovers and can chomp on those for a while.
I have a small pet peeve I'd like to share. What starts off as a little issue soon tends to keep doubling in size until I can't keep it in anymore. It drives me nuts when someone invites you somewhere and says that you can ride with them. They give you the time that they are leaving and that's that. When the day comes around, they actually leave before they said they will so you have to find alternate transport there, of course there is no knock on the door or message left saying that there was a change of plans. Okay I was a little tweaked about it, but okay. That same night we (girl-child and I) were invited to an event they were having out of town this weekend. They know that we have no idea how to get there but we do have transport so that is not an issue. They mentioned something about us following them up and guess what, they've done it again. Although the event isn't until tomorrow, they've already left town without a word. So once again I'm a little tweaked but I'm thinking that this will allow me to get the house cleared and cleaned once and for all. The girl-child is on winter break as of Monday so it's going to be getting everything done.
Hubby was so sweet yesterday. He bought me a poinsettia home, I thought that was so thoughtful. He knows how much I love plants and it's a little one so it doesn't take up too much space.
No comments:
Post a Comment